Blog Archive

Monday 3 June 2019

Beto's Hypnotwist story (Love & Rockets, New Stories vol. 2)



I decided I was to bring with me smaller-sized Hernandez brothers books at work for when I take my breaks (i.e. go to the toilet!) and not kill my phone's battery playing games or rummaging around the internet. I decided to bring a smaller-sized paperback book collecting four stories from the Brothers Hernandez (Jamie and Gilbert), and Beto,s second story in the book is a Strange wordless one called "Hypnotwist". It is nicely drawn, although it does border on the post Y2K Beto art of seemingly being a bit more "minimal" and "simplistic", almost "lazy" in a way (not meant to offend anyone at all, of course!) - although this brand of "minimalism" is nothing near the poor quality levels of his "Garden Of The Flesh" stand-alone mini-book (what a disapointment that one was!). Anyway, "Hypnotwist" feels very abstract but plays out like a nightmare of sorts, but one simply can not stop "reading" it. While there are a few hints here and there of reality for our main protaginist, what she goes through and encounters seem straight out of something akin to a madman's hallucinations. Anyway, I thought it was quite a Strange and strong offering from Beto, and even though I finished the story as confused and dumbfounded as when I entered, I found it quite pleasing and worth a quickie mention here on my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!