Blog Archive

Sunday 10 March 2019

great album covers: Capt Beefheart & his Magic Band "Safe As Milk"



Here's another example of a great album cover to a record I have not much interest in. Granted when I wanted to learn more about the good old captain (RIP) and his magic band beyond that of the now considered legendary "Trout Mask Replica", I dwelved into a coupld of albums they recorded and came out slightly more enriched, although also equally confused. Perhaps when they released their debut album, "Safe As Milk", they were also releasing their final "normal" album in the process, moving into much stranger and more challenging musical territory afterwards. In fact even their debut here as moments and elements slightly unconventional for the times, even though it was quite obvious the record label were trying to make an american version of the Stones. Now of course I attempted to understand and get into whatever it is that these guys were "into" but I came out simply more boggled than when I came in, and decided that like much of my own prefered musical tastes, it is an acquired one at that, and only for a certain type of audience of course. Anyway, I always had a little something for this album cover even if the whole fish eye lens is now considered an old gimmick to make stuff from the 60s and 70s seem more "trippy", but the general visual composition of the cover is something to enjoy - I myself would love to try to re-do / homage this cover for something I would produce. Below is the back cover, just for kicks' sake!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!