Blog Archive

Thursday 7 March 2019

great album covers: Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majestie's Request"



I think this one is a no-brainer from everyone across the spectrum. This was the times and this was the period which defined a generation indeed, and while Pink Floyd were piping at the gates of dawn and The Beatles were playing with Lonely Hearts club band, the Stones came up with their own brand of psychedelia in the form of my own favorite album of their's due to it being more "weird" and "experimental" than most of their recordings. What helped matters was the obviously "trippy" cover art which was originally released as a lenticular image. This album was yet another example of how album covers were designed for their format, because as you can imagine, reduced to the size of a thumbnail for a cell phone's touch screen, it looses all it's effectiveness. Remind me to talk about the french band Niagara at some point and how they helped me understand the concept of album cover art.




Anyway, I always thought this album's art was quite fetching and hypnotic at that as well, maybe not as Eternal as Sgt Pepper or other classics of the genre, but it speaks to me in a certain way and remains amongst my favorite Stones album covers. And yes, you know what I would do if I could score a dirt cheap LP version...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!