Blog Archive

Saturday 2 March 2019

great album covers: Depeche Mode "A Broken Frame" (& "Some Great Reward")


In my last great album covers post, I mentionned this album, and it reminded of the great visual motif Depeche Mode had with their earlier album covers and designs, from their debut with Vince Clark "Speak And Spell" up to "Music For The Masses". Visually speaking they were quite striking in terms of covers and one could immediately identify them strictly on their powerful visuals. Most of the albums up until "Violator" had amazing covers and I was hard to pick a favorite, so I included two contenders: their second LP (as a trio) "A Broken Frame", and their fourth LP "Some Great Reward".




I decided to include both because I really could not decide between the two as they both were just too darn close in terms of personnaly emotive. However in the end, "A Broken Frame" may have had that "0.05%" little almost invisible speck which made it just a bit more evocative than "Some Great Reward", which for all our present purpouses is an equally fantastic cover design. I think it is the lighting in "A Broken Frame" which seems more "natural" whereas "Some Great Reward" does seem to be more cold and mechanical in a way. Anyhow, I included both because they easily are amongst the better album covers out there.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!