Blog Archive

Wednesday 6 March 2019

USB cassette capture to PC MP3 - U get what U pay for!

Recently I unearthed literally two boxes' Worth of good old 80s and 90s 1/4 inch cassettes and have started to go through them whenever time allows. However, time is a precious commodity which I really do not have enough of, and listening to these tapes at home on my tape decks through the sound system takes an incredibly long time. So I decided to try to buy a "portable" cassette player, Something you old timers like myself will recall we used to call "walkman". Boy did we ever use those old puppies up, didn't we? But long gone are the days of the semi-indestructable "Sony Sports" yellow waterproof walkmen, thanks to the culture industry's (and imperialist capitalism in general) annihilation of physical media in favor of the "Nothing" which is virtual disposeable non-formats. Anyway, the point being that unless you want to shell out some serious dough for a "vintage" true (but obviously used/not new)  walkman, your choices are quite limited. In my online searches in between work emergencies, I founf one such device which looked like I would do the basic job - essentially allowing me to listen to cassettes while at work (instead of commercially-polluted by ads streaming).




When I received this item in the mail (it cost me about $25 including shipping charges) I knew I had to make a review. Now maybe you guys don't know this about me, but I do think I may be the interweb's most censored person. The sheer amount of stuff I have put out there, only to be erased, deleted, taken down, rendered un-obtainable, is staggering to say the least, and the last bit wasn't even 2 days ago when a review I posted on EBay for this product was censored. No reason given,no warning either, just... erased/un-posted. To be honest this comes as no surprise since I am the web's most censored human being. Anyway, my review here and now is that this product is merely OK and will indeed do what it claims to do, but at a certain cost to sound quality. So if you are by any means a bit picky about the sound quality of your material, this will not do. In fact, I myself will still go down the route of either transfering my cassettes at home using proper tape decks onto either a CDr or in my Zoom R-8 digital recorder. I would certainly not use this little cassette machine to be used as main playback device to digitalize / "immortalize" all those unique one-of-a-kind cassettes. This tape machine is of very cheap construct, and I feel as though one drop on the floor, or stuck Inside a Pocket that is just a bit too tight will in fact break it. Although this may proove to be more than "adequate" for the casual person just wanting to transfer their old high school mix tape to MP3 for their iPod playback device, it can not be considered as a serious sound transfer unit. Yes I know my way is much more time consuming, but at least I know that in the end, I will be getting the best possible sound quality out of my gear as I can. Anyway, that's a bout it. Thanks again for the time you spent reading me rant about this product!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!