Blog Archive

Monday 4 March 2019

great album covers: Severed Heads "Come Visit The Big Bigot"



How could I do great album covers without at least one nod to one of my favorite album cover artists of the 80s, the wonderful Steven R. Gilmour? He designed most of those earlier Netwerk label bands' covers, and most were quite striking in their own righ, and so many have become iconic and are permanently etched in our subconscious. Therefore trying to chose one was difficult, but I always returned to this one: the north american (re)release of Severed Heads' "The Big Bigot" (as "Come Visit The Big Bigot"). The main difference between the original autralian release and the north american release was the replacement of one song for another, and of course the cover artwork. I know what some may say; out of all the SRG (Steven R. Gilmour) covers I could have chosen, why this one in particular? Well as I said, all too many of this works from the mid-80s up until the early-mid-90s was incredible and deserved to be noticed, but this one spoke to me on several levels, principally the inclusion of a "Thunderbirds" still dummy/puppet as central figure on the cover, as well as the image texture itself which seems to be as though it was a photograph taken off of a TV set. I will admit the bomb design below the band name looks a bit thrown in there and out of place, but still, as a 12" vinyl record cover, this is another one I would hunt down for dirt cheap just to frame and display it. Oh hold on until tomorrow, I'll do another SRG cover for you...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!