Blog Archive

Monday 15 April 2019

Great Album Covers: Tackhead Tape Time

Here's a little weirdness from my past: I was first exposed to this via a radio-recorded tape from one of my friends who wanted me to listen to a piece he culled off a radio show. Anyway long story short I went out and bought the LP and this was my first real exposure to "rap" music away from the post-break-dancing 80s and Run-DMC pre-Beasty Boys era. The confusion was that this was essentially a "compilation" of sorts, featuring tracks from various Tackhead incarnations, Gary Clail's Soundsystem and OnUSound projects. None of the tracks from this LP appear elsewhere in this form, and trying to figure out which parts belonged to who needed some serious research in the days before the interweb. Also, all tracks on this album were also pretty much mixed into one another which meant they flowed almost seemlessly and continuously into each other. Although I quickly out grew the "Tackhead" / Gary Clail backwagon after the release of the follow-up album "Friendly as a Hand Grenade" (it was a step further into reggae and rap than this album), this album cover remains still quite iconic in it's simplicity. I am still surprised no one ever brought these guys to court for "borroying" some of the visuals on this cover!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!