Blog Archive

Monday 6 May 2019

A comic book adaptation which is really not that easy to find!

Ok, Ok , OK, so...


Sometime in the 90s I stumbled upon a Heavy Metal magazine which had a very short piece drawn by artist P. Craig Russell, based on the H. P. Lovecraft short story "From Beyond", which was a better adaptation than the 1980s horror film by Stuart Gordon - of note I have NOTHING against the Gordon version of the film, especially now on DVD with the re-inserted bits which were chopped out of the film when it was released on VHS... In fact, I tend to prefer the "From Beyond" film to "Re-Animator" due to how the production and sound design was done. But that is not the subject of this short self-indulegeant post. No, in fact I wanted to mention that to this day I still have yet to re-find a copy of that Heavy Metal magazine featuring the "From Beyond" short story, which really hit the mark for me as it started out in basic black and white, and as the resonator device increased it's stumilation of the two protagonists' pineal glands, and thus forms and objects and creatures started seeping through the "beyond", color was slowly creeping in, until the very end when the "byond" became reality and in essence, full-color was acheived.


The short story was always something I enjoyed and have since long lost in my numerous life adventures throughout our reality. I surely must have lost the Heavy Metal issue in question along the way, and thought that maybe in today's interweb day and age that someone, somewhere would have re-posted the artwork, but aside from the top image in full color I shared here, nothing really can be found. I mean you can get gazibilillions of Jostin Beeber and Reehannah pictures until you can deffecate cardboard, but a little short story from the 90s? Ziltch! Maybe it was the artist himself who refused and denied allowance of sharing these images... Who knows? Anyway, hope y'all dig it nonetheless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!