Blog Archive

Tuesday 21 May 2019

yet another Hollywood crush: April Bowlby



In this little sniplet of a post I am self-imposing strictly as a personnal service to my own self (and so you are in effect but a voyeur to stumble upon this post and gawk at your own risk!), I am showcasing actress April Bowlby who has been terribly represented in most of Hollywood but came to my attention a while ago when I learned she was cast to play Rita Farr in the live-action version of my all-time favorite comic book, DOOM PATROL. Here are a few pictures of her as Rita Farr...






As I write this one, I saw the infamous TITANS episode called "Doom Patrol" in which a Young teen "BEast Boy" and another teen girl end up in the mansion where The Chief Niles Caulder and the rest of the Doom Patrol (Cliff Steele, Larry Trainor and Rita Farr) are residing. In terms of introducing the characters, it was very enjoyable due to the fact that I have been a die-core fan of the Doom Patrol since the Grant Morrison era (and yes, I even enjoyed the Rachel Pollack era, but after that, the DP just returned to being another generic super hero team), and the characters were fun to watch being fleshed out. I was not impressed by the teen Titans themselves though, as they came off as typical millenials and somewhat generic and forgettable.


My only real beef in what the series appears to be (I haven't watched any épisodes yet) is that Rita Farr and Crazy Jane don't appear in the same "timeline"; Rita Farr was one of the original characters, a very glam 50s movie actress who was written off the team many years ago, and Crazy Jane is a very late 80s product straight out of Morrison's Madness. Also the inclusion of "Cyborg" and other Young folks which have Nothing to do with the Doom Patrol was an obvious marketing ploy to attract the target/young audience. Even the casting of Crazy Jane seems to be of a 16 year old girl, instead of the "defective" woman whe was in the original comics. Still, seeing April as Rita is a good choice, Cliff voiced by Brendan Fraser quite apt, and Negative Man (Larry Trainor) by Matt Bomer is also a fun one. And of course, Timothy Dalton as The Chief, well... that's nailing it right! Oh and Alan Tudik as Mr Nobody? That should be fun!
P.S.: I came up with the title for the band The Impromptu Theater Noise Project's 1-minute piece "The Brain In Jar", a non-subtle direct homage to a specific Grant Morrison comic book issue of the Doom Patrol:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? You too are subject to possible censorship!